WELCOME TO MY BLOG




Monday, August 25, 2008

It's that time again!

I opened the letter with much trepidation. Anytime I see a letter from Lori Parrish, Broward County Property Appraiser and it has written next to my address Official Notice of Taxes; my heart just skips a beat.

The envelope had exactly what I thought would be in it: The Proposed 2008 Property Taxes.

My feelings are a little mixed. My taxes are down by $690.25, however, my property value has dropped $21,080, bringing it in $10,000 below what I paid for it.

Like I said, it was a mixed reaction.

On the confusing side, was that I only had $25,000 deduction for my homestead. Now I know we voted on an amendment and it passed in January whereby the exemption would double, so I looked in the accompanying brochure. Under the heading "... But Where is My $50,000 Exemption?" was written:

The constitutional amendment which doubled the Homestead Exemption to $50,000 is rather complex. By law it ONLY applies to the third $25,000 of assessed value (i.e., the portion of assessed value above $50,000 and below $75,000). If a homesteaded property has a Save Our Home assessment of less than $50,000, it will not get any added benefit this year from the new exemption. Likewise, a homesteaded property with an assessment of $60,000 will enjoy only $10,000 additional exemption -- as it is the only portion over $50,000.

Okay, I'll buy that.

But my house is assessed at over $240,000! Why am I not getting the additional $25,000 deduction?

Anyone out there have an answer?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know. I got my $50,000 deduction for my condo. I'll save about $300 in taxes. Market value also went down, from $181,260 to $172,200. -j in nomi

Unknown said...

Thank you for your comment.

Guess I'll have to call Ms Parrish tomorrow!


Blooms of Plunkett

Blooms of Plunkett
A Banana tree in the backyard in full bloom