WELCOME TO MY BLOG




Friday, August 15, 2008

Florida Power and Light

I am at my wits end!

During the hurricane season of 2005, we had a few storms that came through Hollywood, however, the big one was Wilma.

In the aftermath of Wilma, I did not have electrical power for 29 days.

Since the power has been returned, not one week as passed that I haven't lost power. Today was typical. Three power outages; all of them blinked completely off than right back on again. I'm sure that these outages were the cause of my washer/dryer going bad and it didn't help my old computer.

When I called Florida Power and Light (FPL), they tell me that they are aware of the problems that occur on my grid, however, at this time there are no plans to fix the problem due to rising repair costs.

I wish I had the money to install alternative power sources. I really only have one available to me. The City of Hollywood will not allow any wind turbine. Solar would help, but the cost for my home would be in the range of $40K

The rebate (up to $20K) that was promised to Floridians was not funded this year, the last year mandated by the US Congress, who went on their August vacation without passing an extension.

FPL has a monopoly on power in south Florida and they do not care. I can only hope that somewhere in the near future, someone can come up with an inexpensive way to power one's home and can clearly give one a choice between FPL and something else to supply power to South Florida Homes.

No comments:


Blooms of Plunkett

Blooms of Plunkett
A Banana tree in the backyard in full bloom