WELCOME TO MY BLOG




Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Major Storms cause power outages; Radar Vanishes


We are experiencing major storms today, here in South Florida. This morning, a huge electrical storm left me without power for five and three-quarter hours. As the storm moved South into the Miami area, the storm knock out Miami Radar. It is still down as a new storm comes in from the East (the Atlantic Ocean).

It is still unclear from all weather reports how sever the storm will be, however, local weather stations reporting to weatherunderground.com show steady winds in the area of 17 mph with gusts up to 40 mph and rain falling at a rate of 1.49in/hr.

While I have not lost power during this storm (so far), ATT's DSL Internet is sporadic at best.

This is not a tropical storm and I question our power company, FPL, as to their claims of being ready for this year's hurricane season, which is upon us.

While I can understand why DirecTV's service is interrupted by storms, I do not understand why I should be losing phone service, thus Internet service and electricity, just because it is raining.

I understand that General Electric and FPL have teamed up to build a "Smart Grid" in Miami-Dade County and that resources in South Florida are being tied up installing such a system, but this new grid troubles me. I do not believe the public fully understands the significance this grid is going be on their lives and that if they had full knowledge of what the grid is, there would be more public debate on the subject.

Will discuss the further at a later time.

No comments:


Blooms of Plunkett

Blooms of Plunkett
A Banana tree in the backyard in full bloom