WELCOME TO MY BLOG




Saturday, March 7, 2009

Slow Cooking

Cousin Vicki gave me a wonderful gift for Christmas. A slow cooker. I had one in Virginia, given to me by my dear friend Ben, but somehow, it was in one of the two missing boxes when I moved down here. I have really missed it.

I've made several wonderful soups, using veggies from my winter garden, and last night was no exception. Using my deformed carrot, which I think will be the only one this year due to planting them too close to another veggie that has covered the carrots and stunted their growth, a large scallion, two small pok choi, a small kohlrabi and a few turnip and basil leaves, created a wonderful Chicken soup. I also used some packaged dry-bean vegetable soup with dehydrated mushrooms, both yellow and green split peas, lima beans and barley. This dry soup also has pasta in the shape of letters (which I call Shirley Temple noodles).

I cooked this soup at first on high for 6 hours, but was not satisfied with it, so, I cooked it overnight on low for another 10 hours. It is fabulous and I've been eating on it all day.

Due to size restraints in this damn side-by-side refrigerator that I HATE WITH A PASSION, I'm just going to keep it on warm. Don't have room for it.

I continue to enjoy my garden, including some very sweet strawberries, and garden fresh salad.


No comments:


Blooms of Plunkett

Blooms of Plunkett
A Banana tree in the backyard in full bloom